Thursday, October 22, 2009

Online Writing

Although I have written reflections (and numerous other pieces of writing) before, this class is unique in that we are required to post our work on the internet in a blog format. This is vastly different compared to my other assignments, because now, instead of only the professor being able to read my work, anyone in the world can. By nature, a blog is a very open and accessible piece of writing, since anyone who has internet access can read it. In theory, because anyone can read and comment on the reflection, this format should lead to open and free discussion of the topics covered.

I believe that this particular format was chosen because, ideally, it very nicely parallels what I perceive to be the nature of the class “Designing for Effective Change”. By that I mean I feel that the purpose of the class is to bring a wide variety of ideas into the discussion, and hear multiple view points on how they all fit together. In class we are encouraged to not only bring our own thoughts and ideas to the table, but to also respond to/comment on/expand upon the ideas of others. In a similar way, putting our reflections online accomplished the same goal, in that we are able to respond to and comment on other peoples reflections.

The question then, is how well have we been able to mimic the class setting online? I feel that there are two important aspects to discuss for that question. The first relates to the fact that, since our writing is posted online, people outside of our class are also able to read our reflections. In that regard, then, the openness of the internet could potentially be used to really share and spread ideas from quite a large group of people. But, while that may be a possibility, that is certainly not how I have observed things play out, in that, to my observation, very few people outside of our class, if any, have commented critically on our writing. This really doesn’t come as a surprise to me. I admit that if I stumbled across the blog of someone writing for a class I 1.) would feel like an outsider, and probably wouldn’t comment and 2.) probably would feel that I didn’t have the time to get involved anyways. My point then is that if we are trying to get feedback and discussion from people outside of our class, I don’t think it is happening.

Due to the conclusion I reached in my previous paragraph, I don’t feel that I am using the blog format to its fullest potential. I write with the expectation that other people in the class will be reading what I say (which is still a marked difference from writing “directly to” the professor), but don’t really expect people outside of our class (other than a few key exceptions, namely friends of mine) to take much interest.

I mentioned that there are two aspects to whether or not the blog mimics the class setting. The first was how people outside of our class responded to the blogs. The second, then, is how well the people in the class carry on the intent of the class outside of class on the internet. By this I mean, do we read each other’s blogs, comment on them, and have open discussion? I am going to be brutally honest and say that I don’t think we (or at least I) do a very good job. While I would love to be able to thoroughly read, think about and comment on everyone’s blog, the truth is that is simply doesn’t happen, due to time constraints. Then again, maybe I don’t want it to happen, because then the class would have no real boundaries. I guess what I am trying to say is, perhaps it is best that only a few people comment on any one blog. Really, an 18 person free for all in the online forum setting would be a mess anyways.

I have shared some fairly scattered and random thoughts just now, and will try to bring them cohesively together. I think that the purpose of putting our writing online is so that others can read it and provide feedback on it. By in large, only people within our class have commented, and in general only a few people comment on any one blog. I was debating whether it would be more beneficial if more people read and commented, and, while I think that it would be marginally better, it don’t feel that the lack thereof means that the blogs are a failure.

The obvious question, then, is how is my writing different if I know that my at least a few of my peers will be reading it? My answer, at least at this point is: not much. The style of writing is different, in that I use a much more conversational tone, but I don’t feel that the content of my papers is any different. I basically view the blog as being my way of expressing my ideas to the class, but I have more time to fully develop and present my whole idea.

Overall then, I would say that writing online has been a new experience for me and learning one, in that my peers are now reading and criticizing my work. However, whereas initially I wondered what it would be like to have random people reading my writing, I feel that that has worn off, because I don’t perceive that random people are reading my blog. So, if anyone is, please comment, so that I know you are there!

4 comments:

  1. I'm random in some dimensions, but for the sake of this comment, I'm not random for responding to your post. Your family might not be random either, but perhaps you've been in college for too long now for your parents or siblings to ask what you are studying.

    So let's zero in on those others, who potentially might be interested in the writing but whom you don't know ahead of time, whether others from the U of I or folks from elsewhere. If those folks lurk but don't comment, WordPress is better than Blogger on that score because it tracks folks who come to the site. On the class blog I've got a tool called Sitemeter that does some of that. There are a few repeat visitors who don't comment. Some exit the class site to one of the student blogs.

    One can be more active than that in promoting the student blogs. I think good netiquette would suggest that if you liked a post that one of your classmates wrote you could post something in Facebook about it, or Tweet about it, or send email to some friends about it. And they could do likewise for you. It's a little tackier to do self-promotion this way.

    If one of the other students in class did that for one of your posts, would there be a benefit to you? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that in terms of commenting and providing feedback to each other, our class isn't doing the greatest job. I didn't do it for awhile because of your very reason: time. However, around a month ago or so, I began making an effort to do so, and I discovered that it helps me a lot just to read other people's blogs. Even though it takes time to read their thoughts, it's worth it. It helps me see things in a different light and to gather inspiration and help for my own writing.

    I don't think I agree that it's best that only a few people comment. It would be amazing to have all of my classmates give feedback on my posts...since we don't get any feedback (so far) from people outside of our class, wouldn't you think it'd be good that at least our colleagues who know these blogs exist read them?

    Another trend I see in our comments is that we're still not quite open in our feedback on each other's posts. Most of the time, people comment if they liked the post or if they have a question or two. But I think we have a fear of criticizing other people's thoughts because we still probably don't know each other well enough. That's probably something we have to get over though for blogs to work. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine- Thanks for your insight.
    I agree that saying it was "best" if only a few people commented on a blog was a poor way to phrase it. A better (and different thought) might be that at least a few comments are better than nothing.

    Also, I too, feel a certain discomfort in criticizing my classmates blogs. This is probably because I feel that I am not experienced enough to perceive what is "bad" versus just being "another style".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here! I think that the reflection topic for this week is very appropriate in two ways. We are in the middle of the semester and it helps to evaluate how these reflections are serving our writing and if we are talking full advantage of this resource. Also, it poses the question of what is holding us back from taking full advantage of this resource. I know that you said time was an issue for you, Greg. I know this is a universal problem for everyone. What could be some solutions, maybe having a goal of reading one a day? Also, I am not really comfortable critizing other people's work, especially since this is so subjective. What do you think about Professor Arvan's suggestion to use other means? Is that technology overkill?

    ReplyDelete